Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Love Season

Running a household and entertaining my 4 year old makes finding reading time hard. However, my mother took G-Man for a piano lesson and for some playtime which freed up some time for myself. I had earned a free soup from Panera (part of their club thingy) so I went there to indulge myself in yummy food and a book I had in my purse. (yes I always have a book or my kindle with me) I ordered the broccoli and cheese soup, a iced tea, and a cinnamon roll. Found my little corner of the restaurant and settled in for a good read.

I have become a huge fan of Elin Hilderbrand after reading Barefoot years ago. I love her style and her ability to create this world in my mind. All of the books I have read from her take place in the same area. That makes it easier to picture the areas written about. Even though I lived in MA for 7 years I never made it to Nantucket. I feel like I have been there due to the description found in these books.

I sat in my booth and read the Love season by Elin Hilderbrand in 2ish hours. When I had found this book at the thrift store I could tell it was a well loved book already. The pages were dogeared, the pages soft from many times turned.

In this story you jump between two different people an older woman, Marguerite, hiding on Nantucket and a nineteen year old girl, Renata, who happens to be Marguerite's Goddaughter. Their connection, Marguerite's best friend who was also the mother of Renata. The mother/best friend, Candace, had died years before and the woman and the daughter were torn apart at that time. Now both ladies are on the island, both craving for reconnection and answers.

The story plays out in one day. The godmother, getting ready for a visit from Renata. The godmother a world known chef cooks for the first time for someone else in 14 years. While getting the supplies from the store and cooking she relives the past. Constructing the history of Candace and a friendship long gone.

Renata's day is filled with questions on if she has made the right choice in getting married. She is confronted with the knowledge that she is just arm candy to this wealthy family. She is questioning her morality. She has to decide if 19 is the right age to make lifelong choices. She is faced with tragedy, loyalty, and family history in this one day.

For me this book was well written and I fell in love with another story by Elin Hilderbrand. I was moved to tears a few times and laughed out loud and startled a few people near my booth. I was able to finish it in one sitting. I love being able to do that. Staying in a storyline without returning to reality makes a deeper connection to the book I feel.

I am going to keep this book. It is back on my bookshelf waiting to be reread.

No comments:

Post a Comment